Leos are famous for their ferocity, their flamboyance, and their thick, luscious manes! As reigning queens of the summertime, these Lionesses know that heat, sunshine, and one too many dips in the pool or ocean can really take a toll on your hair if you’re not careful! Let's not even get into the daily damage our hair already goes through with coloring, chemical treatments, and styles such as tight pony tails and braids that put pressure on the scalp. So what does one use to keep unnecessary stresses away from their tresses (you see what we did there? haha) to keep it looking lustrous and healthy? The magic of Mother Nature!
Essential oils are known for their remarkable restorative and healing properties in regards to skin, but many forget that they can also work wonders on your hair and scalp. They can be used to cleanse the scalp, strengthen hair, control irritation and dandruff, stimulate hair follicles, improve circulation, prevent hair loss and even promote hair growth! Below we’ve listed our recommended essential oils for treating various types of hair conditions along with our own suggested blends, but feel free to play around with all of the options. You can search for these ingredients in hair products at the store, or you can get creative like a Leo would and concoct your own enchanted hair potion!
If you have...
Normal hair? Well aren't you lucky! If your hair has its way of working things out on its own, supplement your healthy habits with a combination of these fortifying and strengthening herbs to preserve your hair's elasticity and shine!
1. Clary Sage
Recommended blend: mix 1 drop clary sage + 2 drops rosemary + 2 drops lemon + your choice of carrier oil
Dry & Damaged Hair
Has one too many curling irons or rainbow hair DIY videos left your hair feeling more like straw? Get rid of the crunch and nurse split ends back to health with a combination of these nourishing oils to restore and lock in moisture.
2. Tea Tree
Recommended Blend: mix 3 drops rose + 1 drop sandalwood + 1 drop myrrh + your choice of carrier oil
Oily Hair & Scalp
If the summer heat has you working up a sweat, more than likely your skin and scalp will be releasing dirt and oils throughout the day, and while next-day-hair is totally a thing, the day after next hair can go from from glorious to greasy real quick. If you're in need of some shine control, try a blend of these proprietary herbs!
3. Tea Tree
5. Clary Sage
Recommended Blend: Mix 1 drop patchouli + 1 drops basil + 3 drops tea tree + your choice of carrier oil
Thinning Hair or Hair Loss
Hair loss can be caused by any number of reasons. Aging, genetics, heat damage, poor diet, and hormonal changes can all cause hair to thin out and break. If you're in need of some serious repairs, create a crisp and cooling scalp treatment to stimulate the hair follicles using a blend of these wonderful herbs!
Recommended blend: 1 drop Lavender + 2 drops rosemary + 2 drops peppermint + your choice of carrier oil
Dandruff & Itchy Scalp
Is your dry, itchy scalp begging for some TLC? Say goodbye to white flakes forever with a penetrative cleansing treatment crafted from a blend of these dander destroyers!
1. Tea Tree
2. Clary Sage
Recommended blend: 1 drop Chamomile + 1 drop Eucalyptus + 3 drops Tea Tree + your blend of carrier oils
How To Make Your Own Hair Oil
When crafting your magic hair oil, you're going to want to combine your essential oils with a rich and nourishing base/carrier oil. These oils are full of essential fats and powerful antioxidants that work to strengthen and protect your hair from root to end. Keep in mind that these oils can also have an impact on the scent profile of your hair-omatherapy potion so choose your ingredients carefully! Because essential oils are extremely concentrated, It's important to mix your essential oils with a carrier oil so that it can be applied without irritation. A good rule of thumb for mixing carrier and essential oils safely is to make a 2% dilution. That means adding 12 drops of essential oil per every fluid ounce (30ml) of carrier oil. Keep in mind that some people may have a greater sensitivity to essential oils, and that some essential oils are not recommended for use on skin, so before you go crazy with your concoctions, make sure to research whether or not they're suited for hair!
1. Coconut - Because of its high saturated fat content, it is slow to oxidize and, thus, resistant to rancidification, making it one of the longest lasting oils you can use.
2. Olive - Historically, the olive tree has always been a symbol of peace and is associated with the goddess Athena, who gave the olive tree to the Greeks.
3. Castor - This oil works by improving blood circulation and moisturizing dry, flaky and itchy scalps. It helps strengthen the hair shaft by locking in moisture and nourishing the roots.
4. Jojoba - Native American tribes from Mexico and the Southwestern United States, extracted the oil from jojoba seeds to treat sores and wounds.
5. Sweet Almond - An excellent emollient, or moisturizer, sweet almond has been utilized by massage therapists all throughout history for this reason.
6. Avocado - Avocado oil is a rich source of Lecithin which gives it superior penetrative qualities. It works even better when blended with other oils like almond or olive.
Waxing Moon Love & Renewal Hair Ritual
Spells regarding health, growth, expansion, manifestation, and healing are best performed under the waxing crescent moon. The waxing crescent moon is a time of renewal where positive outcomes and manifestations linked to our emotions seem to finally appear. If you've been in a bit of mental fog or rut, the waxing moon will make things clear. This is an ideal time to reflect upon your true feelings, especially in regards to romance, and figure out where you really stand with that special someone. Emotions will generally be positive during this time but if things have been less than rosy with your significant other, hold on -- the light at the end of tunnel might just be ready to shine! Because the waxing moon is great for attracting a new relationship or improving your current one, we recommend this magical hair ritual to invite love and harmony into your life and keep you looking extra :)
- To enchant your treatment, gather materials on a sacred altar space. If you don't have an altar, surround your materials with rose quartz. Rose quartz is the best crystal to use during the waxing moon as it promotes love, passion, and harmony. If you don't have rose quartz, any crystals will do (rhodonite, rhodocrosite, aventurine, or apache tear are great alternatives).
- Mix 3 to 5 drops of your essential oils for every tablespoon of base oil (if you're making a larger batch, add 12 drops of EO per 1 fluid oz carrier oil).
- Light a candle and call upon the Goddess Aphrodite, or Venus to assist you with this beauty spell and repeat the following charm below 5 times while mixing your potion and envision your hair as you desire it to look, full of health, volume, and vibrancy!
"My hair will grow like the strongest weeds,
My energy will serve as seeds
Grow longer and faster,
To my tailbone it shall be
This is my will
So mote it be!"
Also, for those who don't have time to craft their own hair care potions at home, check out our multi-use MoonShine Elixir in Rose + Cinnamon for love and passion, or Lavender + Vanilla for relaxation and soothing.