The energy is shifting, can you feel it? As we wave goodbye to the fiery and vibrant Leo season, our focus is turning inwards. Summer is coming to a close, kids are going back to school, and Virgo season is here! With the transition of signs and seasons, the energy surrounding us effects us immensely. It’s essential to flow with the rhythms of the changing seasons. So, with that, lets dive into the spirit of Virgo.
The symbol associated with Virgo is “The Maiden”. The Maiden represents purity, not to be confused with chastity, but pure intentions and desire to seek purpose. Virgo is an earth sign. Grounded, practical, focused. We associate the root chakra with the earth sign. Healing the root chakra is all about nourishment, grounding, tending to the inner child, and creating safety and security. The Virgo constellation is said to be an image of the goddess Persephone, and was created by Hades as a gift to her mother Demeter. Persephone is both the maiden goddess of the harvest and the Queen of the underworld. Her ability to have one foot in both realms illuminates her connection to the death and life cycles, and that balance of duality is a very important theme in magic and shamanism. Virgo is ruled by the planet Mercury, which controls communication. Here are some Virgo characteristics: Responsible, Analytical, Sensitive, Intelligent, Strong Morals, Hard Worker, Love to Help Others.
No matter your sign, we can tap into the magic of the Virgo! We all experience Virgo season in our own way, though there are certain themes that may come up this month. Some themes may be clarifying our purity of purpose, organization, health, service, and work. The Full Moon will be in Pisces on August 26 — we will balance the earthy healing of Virgo with the watery mysticism of Pisces for a powerful Full Moon Ritual. On September 9, our New Moon ritual will use the desire for order to benefit our new moon intentions and release any “perfectionist” beliefs that do not serve our highest good. Prepare to be balanced, focused, and ready for miracles. Rituals below!
*A few helpful definitions*
sacred smoke: any ceremonial blessing herb or plant that you use to create sacred space. Some examples: sage, palo santo, copal resin, incense, sweetgrass, dragons blood resin.
casting a circle: before performing any ritual or spell, it is a common magical practice to “cast your circle” — to create a safe space to practice magic. You may cast a circle by calling on your ancestors/spirit guides/guardian angels/the elements/the four corners (N,S,E,W). You can cast your circle in any way that feels right to you.
GROUNDING BLESSINGS FULL MOON RITUAL
Ignite your spirit and receive clarity of values. This grounding ritual will nourish your root chakra with earth element tools: crystals and flowers, while focusing your mind on what matters most to you by connecting to the celestial energy of water. This ritual is all about ascending to our highest self by staying connected to our core.
What You Need:
- bowl of water
- grounding crystal, I suggest Black Tourmaline, Hematite, or Red Jasper
- dried flowers - the best are handpicked from your garden, or around your neighborhood! I suggest rose, calendula, sunflower)
- sacred smoke (optional)
- In a quiet and safe place, set up your ritual space. Place the bowl of water in front of you.
- Burn sacred smoke to shift the energy around you. Take nine deep breaths, be aware of how the scent shifts your body, your awareness, your consciousness. The sacred smoke should relax you and bring you into your body.
- Take your crystal of choice and place it against your heart. Feel your heart beat against the crystal. You are alchemizing your energy with their energy.
- Bring the crystal up to your lips. Whisper prayers for both yourself and for your loved ones, friends and family, for the earth, for your community and for generations to come. Virgo is a very selfless sign. How can you be of service? Speak your intentions.
- Place the crystal in the bowl of water.
- Take your flowers in your hand. Place them first onto your root chakra (at the base of your spine). Close your eyes and envision the flowers healing you. Visualize yourself as a tiny little seed, then as a sprout, growing and growing into a beautiful flower, with roots deep into the earth. When you are ready, sprinkle the flowers into the bowl of water. They should float atop.
- Focus your gaze upon the bowl. Notice how the flowers float, how the crystal stays rooted. Ask yourself, how can I best nourish myself?
- When you are ready, take the bowl of water outside. If you can, find a patch of dirt that looks like it needs some water. Slowly pour the water onto the earth.
- As you do this, speak these words three times: “Rooted I grow, nourished I flow.”
- When you are done, speak words of gratitude to the elements, to your spirit guides, your angels and ancestors, for guiding you and protecting you.
- Carry the crystal with you for grounding and guidance.
BALANCED INTENTIONS NEW MOON RITUAL
We call upon Virgo’s talent for organization as we envision our dreams, designing new systems and plans for our dreams. Using the candle, we ignite the symbolic flame within of our passion and purpose. We charge the quartz crystal with our own energy to aid us on our manifestation journey.
What You Need:
- Journal & Pen
- Clear Quartz Crystal
- Sacred Smoke
- Cast your circle. Place your crystal, journal, pen, and candle in front of you.
- Burn the sacred smoke. Deeply experience the sensations of scent and how it affects your body.
- Take a few moments to connect to your breath. Sit in a relaxed position with your palms facing up.
- Light the candle. Focus your gaze upon the flame. As the fire flickers, envision what you seek to release. What needs to be burned and cleared away? Negative self talk, bad habits, limiting beliefs?
- In your journal, write down whatever came up.
- Focus on the candle again. Take nine deep breaths. As you stare into the flame, visualize what you desire to call into your life.
- In your journal, on a separate page, write down what you seek to manifest.
- Hold your quartz crystal against your third eye, on your forehead just above the space between your eyebrows. Close your eyes. Imagine the crystal is shooting out a beautiful light into the sky, reaching out into the cosmos. The light you are casting out is what will connect you with your deepest desires and intentions.
- In your hands, hold the crystal at a safe enough distance away from the flame, but close enough to feel the gentle warmth from the fire.
- Put the warm crystal against your heart. Feel the vibrations of transformation radiating throughout you.
- Look back at your journal, at what you want to release vs. what you want to manifest. On a new page, write down an action plan on how you are going to release those things, and an action plan on how you are going to work towards your dreams. In true Virgo fashion, we are organizing our visions so that they may blossom into fruition.
- When you are done journaling, close your eyes and speak words of gratitude to your spirit guides, guardian angeles, ancestors, the elements for their guidance and protection.
- For the next 30 days, every morning write down something you are grateful for in your journal. Gratitude attracts abundance.
Toska is a witch, artist, and herbalist living in Los Angeles. She is a weaver of ritual and crafter of experience, harmonizing with the energies of spirituality, sexuality, and sensuality. Her offerings include custom ritual kits, ritual events and ceremonies, plant magic healing sessions, and downloadable spell books. www.ritualcraft.com // instagram: @ritual.craft